Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
I turn to this recipe a lot since I usually have everything on hand to make it. My family loves it and it is always popular with guest and at potluck dinners too.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
Absolutely delicious! I made this for my DH and DS, and of coarse snuck in a piece for myself. Easy to put together, and not too overpowerfully rich, with a lovely texture. I served it on a graham crust and topped it off with whipped cream...yummmmm! Great recipe Caymen Designs, I will make this again soon...Kitten:)
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 9 in.baked pastry shell
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate eggs, beat yolks well.
- Add sugar, cocoa and cornstarch.
- Whisk in evaporated milk and water.
- Cook until thick, over medium high heat on the stove stirring constantly or cook for about 4-5 minutes in the microwave, whisking every minute or so.
- It may take longer if you have a small microwave.
- Add vanilla and butter.
- Pour into baked pie shell and cool.
- Top with whipped cream or meringue.