Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Rich and decadent!
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate piece
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 9 eggs
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups French bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and dried (about 3/4 pound)
- whipped cream (optional) or vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, melt chocolates and butter over very low heat, stirring until melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, cream, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract until just combined.
- Gradually, add milk mixture to melted chocolate, stirring constantly. Fold in bread.
- Pour into a greased 8"x8"x2" square baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 1 1/4 hours or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Serve warm, with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired.