Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This isn't the traditional green bean casserole generally served at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I got the recipe from a German friend who serves it instead of the soupy kind.
- 1 lb fresh green beans (snapped into 1-2 inch pieces)
- 1 lb bacon
- 8 potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lb cheese, of your choice
- salt and pepper
- Peel and boil potatoes, drain and set aside to cool.
- Slice bacon into 1 inch strips. Sauté diced onion while cooking bacon in same pan. I like to use a little olive oil, but it's not necessary. For healthier variety, use turkey bacon.
- Put prepped green beans into a 1 gallon sized ziploc with 1/2 cup water and steam in microwave for 5 minutes.
- Grate cheese and set aside.
- Into a 13x9 Pyrex or casserole dish, put down potatoes then salt and pepper. Next add the green beans and a little more salt and pepper if desired. Now add bacon and onion mixture and top with the cheese. Bake at 325°F for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
Mighty fine, manly side dish, great next to a pot roast (Grannydragon's Pot Roast in Peach Juice). I made half a recipe for 2 people, and had half left over. Made for Spring 2014 Pick A Chef.