Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Absolutely southern tradition.
- 5 medium green tomatoes
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil
- Slice tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices and set aside.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Pour buttermilk into a bowl and add some of the tomatoes, being careful not to stack.
- Remove slices from bowl and let excess buttermilk drain off.
- Dip slices into cornmeal mixture.
- Repeat until all slices are coated.
- Fry in 1/2 inch of hot oil until brown, turning once to brown other side.
- Place in a colander to drain.
- Serve hot.
- Serves 5 to 6.
We made these with milk in lieu of buttermilk. It worked fine. Added a bit of garlic powder to the salt and pepper. Be sure to salt these babies again once they come out of the frying pan. These are a WONDERFUL addition to any southern supper!