Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
Copycat/Restaurant Recipe Taste of Thomason cookbook includes this recipe for "Irontender" Steak Soup. I've not made it yet but it is on my menu list for soon!! Enjoy!
- 1 lb sirloin steak
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- Cut steak into cubes. Brown in skillet.
- Add ground beef and cook till brown.
- Saute vegetables and seasonings; then add to brown meat.
- In spearate pan heat oil, add flour and stir until very brown (but not burned).
- Pour half the broth into the flour and stir until smooth.
- Pour remining bouillon over meat; bring to a gentle boil.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer 2 hours.
- Notes: I usually use canned tomatoes (don't drain) and it works just fine.
- Also, for step 2, you're really making gravy so whatever tips you know to make it smooth and not lumpy will help here.
- I use Wondra flour and add it just a little bit at a time, whisking it as I go.
- Also, I add in a little bit of "jugo magi" a mexican liquid seasoning instead of kitchen bouquet.
Very tasty! A man's soup, full of meat. It is perfectly seasoned. I am serving just soup and salad tonight. I am using Bacon Buttermilk Dressing from here, it is amazing! I also have some dinner rolls to serve along with it and Almost Apple Pie for dessert. Dinner will be served soon, I can hardly wait!