Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love cooking in my iron skillet, so when I ran across this recipe while thumbing through an old cookbook, I just could not resist giving it a try.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 (29 ounce) can peach slices
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry, halves
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons butter in large iron skillet (frying pan), on top of stove.
- Add brown sugar, mix well and turn off heat.
- Press brown sugar mixture evenly onto bottom of skillet.
- Arrange peaches and cherries, in any pattern you prefer, on top of the brown sugar.
- Mix 1/2 cup softened butter and white sugar in bowl and blend well.
- Add eggs, and blend.
- Next add the flour, baking powder, salt and milk and blend until creamy.
- Add vanilla flavoring and blend.
- Spread batter on top of peaches and set pan on top of cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then run a knife along the edges of the skillet to loosen.
- Place cake plate on top of skillet and invert, allowing cake to drop out of the skillet.
- Serve warm with whipped cream on top.
Lovely and easy. A bit on the dry side, but with a tall glass of milk, I couldn't ask for a better dessert. A real crowd pleaser! Thanks!