I love cooking in my iron skillet, so when I ran across this recipe while thumbing through an old cookbook, I just could not resist giving it a try.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons butter in large iron skillet (frying pan), on top of stove.
- Add brown sugar, mix well and turn off heat.
- Press brown sugar mixture evenly onto bottom of skillet.
- Arrange peaches and cherries, in any pattern you prefer, on top of the brown sugar.
- Mix 1/2 cup softened butter and white sugar in bowl and blend well.
- Add eggs, and blend.
- Next add the flour, baking powder, salt and milk and blend until creamy.
- Add vanilla flavoring and blend.
- Spread batter on top of peaches and set pan on top of cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then run a knife along the edges of the skillet to loosen.
- Place cake plate on top of skillet and invert, allowing cake to drop out of the skillet.
- Serve warm with whipped cream on top.