Recipe by LonghornMama
Butter piecrust gets crunchy on bottom and edges of cast iron skillet, with dough pieces in layers with the berries and sugar. Found this in Southern Living a number of years ago, but I don't have the man's name to give him credit. You can use peaches or blueberries as well, blackberries are just my favorite. I have given up picking my own blackberries so now harass the people at the farmer's market until they get some. Frozen fruit works nicely, too. You must use a cast iron skillet!! If you don't have one, go buy one and season it well...it's a kitchen necessity!
Top Review by Lou
wonderful recipe. Made it with fresh blackberries, and it was delicious. We loved the crisp crust. I had a hard time getting as many layers as called for. I made it again today,(in less then a week) and used peaches. I cut everything in half, and used the peaches. Made a smaller version of it, and only made a bottom crust and a top crust. I don't think we're ever gona get tired of making this recipe. So many different things to put in it. Apple will be my next one. I did find tho, that it didn't stay crisp if leftover for another day.
Universal Black Iron Skillet Piecrust
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup cold water (I use less)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 4 -5 cups fresh blackberries (or frozen) or 4 -5 cups blueberries or 4 -5 cups peaches
Directions See How It's Made
- For piecrust, combine flour and salt; cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle water, 1 T at a time, evenly over surface; stir with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Roll piecrust to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Fit into a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Trim excess pastry along edges, reserving trimmings.
- Prick bottom and sides of piecrust with a fork.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven; set aside.
- Cut butter into flour with a pastry blender until crumbly; add 1/2 c sugar.
- Place 1/3 of berries in piecrust; sprinkle with about 1/3 remaining sugar.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 flour mixture.
- Top with 1/3 of pastry trimmings.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.