Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I am the original magazine recipe clipper. This is another one of those recipes clipped from a magazine in years gone by. Try it, you might like it!!!!!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place butter in large iron skillet and place in oven to melt.
- When butter is melted, stir in brown sugar, place back in oven and let that melt together.
- Place 1 pie crust on top of the mixture that is in the skillet.
- Mix together granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Place apple slices on top of pie crust and cover with the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Place second pie crust on top and make small slits in crust and seal on the edges Bake 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm with a vanilla cream or ice cream.
I was SO glad to find this recipe. I clipped it from a magazine years ago, and then lost it. My family requested that I make it again, so I had to go looking. This recipe is OUTSTANDING. I usually also add a little nutmeg. This is a great recipe for beginners. It doesn't always make the prettiest pie, but it is usually the tastiest!!! Thanks, jellyqueen!! :-)
This is a delicious pie. I baked it in a 9-inch iron skillet and used a combination of granny smith apples with 1 lone gala apple for extra color. I left the peel on the apples, coring and slicing while the butter and the brown sugar melted. This was quick to put together and prep time minimal. My pie may have been overfilled as it tended to cook over some. I would highly recommend putting a cookie sheet under the pan just in case. I slipped the cookie sheet under just as the first drop of juice was oozing out. I will be serving leftovers to my DS and his favorite is apple pie. I am sure to make this one again.
Wonderful Pie! I added 1/4t each of nutmeg and allspice as suggested in another review. The crust is crisp and apples soft, full of flavor. Only had whipped cream on hand. Yum, is all I have to say. Thanks for sharing, Jellyqueen!