Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
You know that chocolate syrup they squirt in the cup at the local coffee shop when you order a mocha? Then when you try to make one at home, the chocolate syrup from a brown squeeze bottle just doesn't cut it? WELL - this is your lucky day...You just found the closest thing to *bucks mocha syrup you can make - at a FRACTION of the cost of using their mocha powder. I know it sounds simple, but it took about 3 months to get it as spot on as possible. Be it known that I used Hershey's Cocoa and Dutch cocoa when making this...(I own no stock...) I usually add a cup of Torani's Vanilla Syrup to this recipe - OR a cup of liquid French Vanilla Coffee Creamer - because I like Vanilla Mochas, and that does the trick for me.
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup regular cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup imitation vanilla
- Boil water in a teapot or something like that.
- Measure Sugar and Cocoa into a two quart heat resistant pitcher (like Tupperware--this helps the transfer to a more user-friendly container later).
- Once the water is boiling, measure it into the pitcher and beat with a wire whisk until everything is completely dissolved.
- Add the imitation vanilla; Mix thoroughly.
- Let mixture cool, and transfer into some pourable/squeezable container (old ketchup bottle, old creamer container, etc--).
- Use 2- 3 Tbsp Mocha Mix for a large cup O' mocha- Enjoy!
- Makes approximately 32 oz.
Mike, you are THE man! This is awesome syrup! I had been trying unsuccessfully to mix my own mochas and this recipe has made it possible. Never again will I pay $4 for a coffee drink! Kudos to you for figuring the ratio out and many thanks!
YUM! I am not using stars, as I made significant changes (Splenda), but I do think this is a 5 star recipe. So chocolatey! And, I much prefer this recipe to another recipe I tried involving cooking the ingredients together for a few minutes; this one has a cleaner chocolate taste. SO... I subbed equivalent Splenda, and used much less vanilla (wimpy me!) I actually found my concoction extremely chocolatey and not quite sweet enough, so I add more sweetner to my cup. Love this stuff! (I was prompted to seek this recipe because *bucks stopped carrying their sf chocolate/mocha syrup.)
Simple to make and wonderful flavor!