Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a simple good and easy one dish meal.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons oleo
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (1 lb) package noodles (cooked by package directions)
- 1⁄4 lb mild cheese (grated)
- Melt butter in iron kettle, (may use a regular skillet). Add ground beef and cook until lightly browned.
- Add onions and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Add tomatoes, salt, cooked noodles and cheese; mix well.
- (If using regular skillet, transfer to casserole dish) and set aside. If using iron skillet set iron skillet full of ingredients aside for 1 hour for blending of flavors.
- Then bake at 350° for 1 hour.
The directions didn't say what size can of tomatoes to use so I used one 28 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes and an 8 ounce can of tomatoe sauce. I also used egg noodles for the pasta. It also didn't say whether or not to cover it while it baked so I did because it seemed it would be much to dry if I didn't. I added garlic and black pepper, also. I cooked it in an iron skillet as directed, which very much adds to the flavor. This is so easy and my whole family gave it five stars. That wouldn't be so impressive if it weren't so unusual for all three of my fellows to agree about food. My oldest son scolded me for not making a double batch by licking his bowl and making MMMMMMMM noises. Everyone is already asking me to make it again. Easy and quickly comes together. I only had time for it to sit for 30 minutes before baking. I don't think it hurt the flavor. ;)
We did not care for this. I halved the recipe since there was only 3 of us. I added 2 cloves of minced garlic and used 1 1/2 c. crushed can tomatoes. It still came out a little dry after the baking. We didn't think that it had much flavor.