A recipe from Katsuyo Kobayashi and her book "Quick and Easy Japanese Cookbook". She defeated Iron Chef Chen Kenichi on the popular Food Network t.v. show "Iron Chef". Kobayashi-san claims she can make anyone into an Iron Chef! :)
- In a mixing bowl, season ground beef to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a small amount of oil in saute pan and cook onion until tender.
- In a small bowl, beat egg lightly; add milk, mixing well.
- Stir in breadcrumbs and allow to rest.
- Add onions and breadcrumbs to ground beef, working ingredients together with your hands.
- Divide meat into fourths, and make a patty; toss back and forth to force air out.
- Shape into burger shape.
- Heat small amount of oil in skillet and cook burgers; cover pan, and simmer on medium-high heat until burgers cook done; then remove lid, reduce heat to medium, and cook till water disappears.
- Remove from pan.
- Add 2/3 cup water, ketchup, sake, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and butter to pan; bring to boil.
- Simmer till thickened.
- Spoon sauce over burgers on plate.