Recipe by Sue Lau
A recipe from Katsuyo Kobayashi and her book "Quick and Easy Japanese Cookbook". She defeated Iron Chef Chen Kenichi on the popular Food Network t.v. show "Iron Chef". Kobayashi-san claims she can make anyone into an Iron Chef! :)
- 14 ounces ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped fine
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, season ground beef to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a small amount of oil in saute pan and cook onion until tender.
- In a small bowl, beat egg lightly; add milk, mixing well.
- Stir in breadcrumbs and allow to rest.
- Add onions and breadcrumbs to ground beef, working ingredients together with your hands.
- Divide meat into fourths, and make a patty; toss back and forth to force air out.
- Shape into burger shape.
- Heat small amount of oil in skillet and cook burgers; cover pan, and simmer on medium-high heat until burgers cook done; then remove lid, reduce heat to medium, and cook till water disappears.
- Remove from pan.
- Add 2/3 cup water, ketchup, sake, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and butter to pan; bring to boil.
- Simmer till thickened.
- Spoon sauce over burgers on plate.