Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A recipe from Katsuyo Kobayashi, and her book "Quick and Easy Japanese Cookbook". She was one of two female chefs to defeat Iron Chef Chen Kenichi, and is also considered to be Japan's favorite TV cooking show host.
- Remove excess fat from chicken.
- Remove hard end tips of mushrooms, and cut into halves or fourths depending on size.
- Destem and remove seeds from peppers; cut into 4-6 pieces if bell peppers are used.
- Heat a non-stick fry pan over medium-high heat until hot; add chicken skin side down, and cook until skin crisps and turns golden.
- Turn chicken and cook other side until brown.
- Add mushrooms and peppers to pan.
- When meat is cooked done, add the mirin and the soy sauce; turn chicken and vegetables frequently.
- Remove chicken when sauce thickens; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Arrange all on a platter.
- Serve sansho pepper and shichimi togarashi as table condiments.
So simple and yet so delicious.
fantastic! i love the sweet/salty/spicy flavor this dish has. i never had shiitake mushrooms before this but they will definately be a regular in my stir-fry's from now on! i didnt have mirin but something called sweet cooking sake which sounded close, i didnt have the optional sasho pepper but tried to compensate with cracked black pepper & a bit of lemon pepper since zaar ingredients said sancho pepper has a lemony flavor...added about a tbs of cracked red pepper for some kick & yum!! i didnt get a picture but lucky you have some great ones already so i dont feel so bad! :) thanks sue!!
If you want tasty, colorful Asian food in a hurry, this is it! I used red and green bell peppers for this..... it made for a very colorful end result. I subbed baby bella mushrooms for shiitake and I think it worked very well. This is great over rice or noodles or just by itself! Thanx for posting.