Recipe by Irmgard
I got this recipe years ago from my sister but have made a few changes to make it my own.
Top Review by Roger/OH
I was a little nervous about making this recipe since Irmgard is a good friend of mine. There was no need to worry at all. 5 stars all the way.
DW requested stuffed peppers so I choose this recipe. The only changes I made was to use a red pepper for mine and increase the garlic for all. Not a big fan of the green ones.
I found the recipe very easy to make and very flavorful and will make again.
- 6 medium green bell peppers
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup raw long grain rice
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the tops off of the peppers; remove the seeds and membranes.
- Parboil 5 minutes; drain.
- Saute the beef, onion and garlic in a large skillet until lightly browned; add a little oil if the beef is very lean.
- Add the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, stewed tomatoes, 1/2 can tomato sauce, water and rice; stir well.
- Bring to a boil; reduce the heat to low.
- Cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Place the peppers in a 2-quart casserole; stuff with the meat mixture.
- Spoon any remaining meat mixture around the peppers; top with the remaining 1/2 can tomato sauce.
- Cover; bake 30 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven.
- Uncover; top with shredded mozzarella.
- Cook for 10 minutes to melt the cheese.