Pierre Dance's Note:
In the early sixty's I lived in Yuma Arizona. I was "adopted" by my friend Rick Ramirez's Family. His Mom, Irma, pronounced 'ear-mah' was world champion at making simple ingredients taste Heavenly. This is one of her's.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb pinto beans
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, coursely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 lb baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 4 jalapenos, whole
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano, crushed
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 smoked ham, shanks (like ham hocks but less fat-more meat)
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1Sort and wash Beans.
- 2cover with water (they will double in bulk.) Cover the pot and let soak overnight in frig.
- 3In the morning bring the Stock to a boil on the stovetop.
- 4Drain and rinse the Beans.
- 5Meanwhile, Char the Jalapenos to remove the skins.
- 6Pierce the stim end with a bamboo skewer to use as a handle.
- 7Hold over a gas flame or use a propane tourch.
- 8Remove the stem, quarter, remove the seeds and vains.
- 9Finely mince.
- 10Saute all of the vegetables'til tender.
- 11Place all ingredients in crock pot and top off with boiling Stock.
- 13Cover, cook on low 8-10 hours.
- 14Remove Ham Shanks, trim skin and fat, debone and cut meat into bite-sized pieces. Return to pot and mix well.
- 15Serve on a bed of cooked rice, topped with Creme Fraiche or Sour Cream and fresh chopped Cilantro.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irma's Pinto Beans and Smoked Ham Shanks
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.7
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 33.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: