Recipe by Pierre Dance
In the early sixty's I lived in Yuma Arizona. I was "adopted" by my friend Rick Ramirez's Family. His Mom, Irma, pronounced 'ear-mah' was world champion at making simple ingredients taste Heavenly. This is one of her's.
Top Review by Chef 565650 Jim
Very tasty dish that had a wonderful aroma when cooking and a great flavor when plated. For the weak of heart, back up on the jalapenos and start with one only. My wife cannot take the heat. Add some however - it really adds to the flavor & the black bits of the pepper skin look great on the top of the broth. I used a ham bone from Thanksgiving & saw no need to use vegetable stock - and water worked just fine. Shred some fresh cilanthro on top of the bowls when plating for a nice vibrant green color & a complimentary flavor to the oregano, cumin, & thyme. Enjoy!
- 1 lb pinto beans
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, coursely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 4 jalapenos, whole
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano, crushed
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 smoked ham, shanks (like ham hocks but less fat-more meat)
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and wash Beans.
- cover with water (they will double in bulk.) Cover the pot and let soak overnight in frig.
- In the morning bring the Stock to a boil on the stovetop.
- Drain and rinse the Beans.
- Meanwhile, Char the Jalapenos to remove the skins.
- Pierce the stim end with a bamboo skewer to use as a handle.
- Hold over a gas flame or use a propane tourch.
- Remove the stem, quarter, remove the seeds and vains.
- Finely mince.
- Saute all of the vegetables'til tender.
- Place all ingredients in crock pot and top off with boiling Stock.
- Cover, cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Remove Ham Shanks, trim skin and fat, debone and cut meat into bite-sized pieces. Return to pot and mix well.
- Serve on a bed of cooked rice, topped with Creme Fraiche or Sour Cream and fresh chopped Cilantro.