Recipe by Pastryismybiz
Moist hearty round loaf with whisky soaked raisins. Goes together quickly and is baked immediately after mixing. Break off pieces at the table and spread with Irish Whiskey butter. Authentic Irish Soda Bread submitted for Zaar III British/Ireland Tour.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup Irish whiskey (option -- can substitute with hot water)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup flour, allpurpose
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk, plus
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375. Oven shelf should be just below the center of oven.
- Grease baking sheet, or use silpat liner, or greased parchment paper.Makes a 7" by 3" high round of bread.
- Soak the raisins in whiskey or water for 30 minutes. If using whiskey, drain and reserve the whiskey.You will have about 3 tblsp left.
- Cut the butter into small slices so that it begins to soften.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours,sugar,baking soda,and salt.
- With fingertips rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the raisins.
- With a wooden spoon,stir in the buttermilk just until the dry ingredients are moistened and the dough comes together.
- Empty dough onto counter and knead it lightly about 8 times until smooth but still a little sticky. If it sticks to the counter,use a bench scraper to gather it together. Avoid adding extra flour. Flour hands if absolutely necessary.
- Pat out dough into a 6 inch round and about 1 & 3/4 inches high. If it sticks flour it lightly at this stage.
- Place on baking sheet and score top 1/2" deep from top to bottom and side to side forming a cross.
- Bake the bread for 30 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 190 degrees in the middle of loaf.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack covered with towel. Keep warm to serve.
- Irish Whiskey Butter.
- 3 tblsp whiskey.
- 1 tblsp sugar.
- 9 tblsp unsalted butter softened.
- Microwave whiskey and sugar until hot, about 20 seconds. Cool.
- Stir whiskey sugar mixture into softened butter until incorporated. It will be a.
- caramel brown color.
- Store at cool room temp up to 2 days, refrigerated up to 2 weeks.
- This bread freezes well up to 1 month. Reheat at a 300 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes.