Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe from my friend Sue - it is the best Irish Soda Bread I have tasted and this is now my go to recipe! Great as an accompaniment to soups or stews. Very easy to make - serve warm with lots of butter!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or lightly grease.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl.
- With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl or 2 cup measure, mix buttermilk, honey & whiskey.
- Add all at once to dry mixture and stir just until no dry spots remain.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead for 1 minute (too much will toughen and too little will inhibit rising).
- Divide dough in half and shape into round loaves.
- Place on cookie sheet. With a floured knife cut a cross 1/2 inch deep in each loaf.
- In small cup, combine whiskey and milk.
- Brush loaves with glaze.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped on bottoms. Remove from pans and let cool on wire racks.
- Cut into wedges or slices and serve warm.