1/2 Photos of Irish Whiskey Soda Bread
Steph in Ottawa's Note:
I got this recipe from my friend Sue - it is the best Irish Soda Bread I have tasted and this is now my go to recipe! Great as an accompaniment to soups or stews. Very easy to make - serve warm with lots of butter!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled and cut in small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey or 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Irish whiskey
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 2Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or lightly grease.
- 3Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl.
- 4With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 5In a small bowl or 2 cup measure, mix buttermilk, honey & whiskey.
- 6Add all at once to dry mixture and stir just until no dry spots remain.
- 7Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead for 1 minute (too much will toughen and too little will inhibit rising).
- 8Divide dough in half and shape into round loaves.
- 9Place on cookie sheet. With a floured knife cut a cross 1/2 inch deep in each loaf.
- 10In small cup, combine whiskey and milk.
- 11Brush loaves with glaze.
- 12Bake for 35-40 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped on bottoms. Remove from pans and let cool on wire racks.
- 13Cut into wedges or slices and serve warm.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Whiskey Soda Bread
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.0
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 17.2 mg
- Sodium 549.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 8.1 g