Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is from my "Common Market - Ireland" cookbook. This is a yummy sultana (raisin) cake with a slight orange flavor. This cake is best when eaten right after it cools. Prep time includes the 2 hours for soaking the orange peel.
- Put the whiskey into a small bowl.
- Peel the orange and soak the peel in the whiskey for a few (2) hours; then discard the orange peel.
- Add the sultanas to the whiskey, and let them soak while preparing the cake.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, with a teaspoon of flour for each egg, beating well between each addition.
- Sift remaining flour, salt and baking powder together, and fold into the egg mixture.
- Fold in the whiskey and sultanas.
- Line a greased 7-inch round cake tin with greased paper.
- Put in the mixture and bake in a moderate (350°F) oven for about 30-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out dry.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Serve as soon as its cooled.