2 hrs 25 mins
tornadoes three's Note:
Oooh! This is decadent and devilish. It is a pretty cake, that is good for parties. I like to serve it around the holidays.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup Irish whiskey, plus
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (70% cocoa)
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder, dissolved in 6 tablespoons hot water
- 1/3 cup blanched almond, lightly toasted (about 2 ounces)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 7 tablespoons vanilla sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 1Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F Butter and flour 8-inch-diameter spring form pan.
- 2Boil 1/2 cup whiskey in small saucepan until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 2 minutes. Combine bittersweet chocolate, espresso powder mixture, and 1/4 cup boiled whiskey in small metal bowl. Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water; stir until mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from over water. Finely grind almonds with 2 tablespoons flour in processor.
- 3Using electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup butter and 6 tablespoons vanilla sugar in medium bowl until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks 1 at a time, then sea salt. Fold in chocolate mixture, then ground almond mixture. Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold whites into batter alternately with remaining 4 tablespoons flour in 3 additions. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- 4Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool in pan on rack 30 minutes. Remove pan sides and cool cake completely.
- 5Combine semisweet chocolate and remaining 2 tablespoons whiskey in small metal bowl. Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water and stir until smooth. Remove bowl from over water. Add remaining 1/4 cup butter to chocolate mixture, 1 small piece at a time, whisking until each piece is melted before adding next. Place bowl over larger bowl of ice water. Using electric mixer, beat icing until thickened to spreadable consistency, about 1 minute. Spread icing over top and sides of cake.
- 6DO AHEAD Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover with cake dome and let stand at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Whiskey and Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.3
- Calories from Fat 266
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 166.7 mg
- Sodium 60.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: