Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a simple down to earth soup, filled with wholesome good vegetables and flavor. I use The End of All Things Vegetable Broth for the broth, or you can buy premade broth. You can sub in your favorite veggies. From Vegelicious.
- 1 large onion, peeled and cubed
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cubed (if you don't have, use 1-2 stalks celery, sliced)
- 1 -2 carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1 -2 potato, peeled and cubed (or 1 to 2 small turnips, peeled and cubed)
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cubed (if you don't have, use another carrot)
- 1 leek, washed and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 -2 spring onion, sliced for optional garnish (or 4-5 scallions)
- 5 -6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the vegetable stock(I use already prepared, or use storebought).
- Prepare all the vegetables, washing, peeling and cutting in small cubes.
- Place the barley in a medium sauce pan.
- Add 1 1/2 – 2 cups of the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and cook the barley until it begins to become soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the diced vegetables and begin to sweat the vegetables, stirring as needed to keep them from scorching.
- As they begin to soften, add the vegetables stock to a level of about 1 inch above the vegetables.
- Add the bay leaves and cook on a medium heat until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Using 1 more cup of the prepared vegetable stock (or water) make a slurry of the flour, cornstarch and liquid.
- When the vegetables have become soft, add the cooked barley.
- If more liquid is needed for the soup, add the rest of the vegetable stock, or water.
- Add the flour/cornstarch mixture (be sure to stir it well first). The soup will become slightly opaque and thicker.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley and spring onions if using.
- Serve hot with a nice whole grain bread.