3 hrs 35 mins
Hungarian Gypsy's Note:
Adapted from Steve Perlstein of the Irish American Heritage Center. I use Guinness Stout in this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons flour
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 lbs cubed lamb shoulder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups stout beer or 2 cups dark beer
- 1 lb red potatoes, quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 lb frozen pearl onions
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 12 sprigs parsley
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 ounces frozen baby peas
- 1Mix 1/2 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste in a resealable bag; add lamb.
- 2Shake to coat lamb pieces.
- 3Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 4Sear the lamb in batches, until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes per batch.
- 5Remove each batch to a plate.
- 6Stir 2 tablespoons of flour into the Dutch oven.
- 7Cook, stirring, over medium heat, 1 minute.
- 8Stir in the stout, scraping up the browned bits.
- 9Add the parsnips, carrots, onions, celery and garlic.
- 10Cook until the liquid is reduced by 1/2, about 20 minutes.
- 11Return the meat to the Dutch oven.
- 12Add the broth and barley.
- 13Tie the parsley, thyme and rosemary in a bundle with kitchen string; add to Dutch oven.
- 14Cook, stirring occasionally for 90 minutes.
- 15Add potatoes and frozen peas.
- 16Cook, stirring for an additional 60 minutes or until the lamb is fork tender.
- 17Skim of any fat.
- 18Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Stout Lamb Stew
Serving Size: 1 (466 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 590.0
- Calories from Fat 307
- Total Fat 34.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 98.2 mg
- Sodium 583.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 29.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: