Recipe by LAURIE
Cooked on the stove this is a hearty one dish meal.
Top Review by kittykat #2
The husband is not a big corned beef fan so I made this along with the beef and it was a huge hit! He ate most if it and asked if we could make it again. In my book that is a success! I used 1 cup of Guinness extra stout draught and 1/2 cup of Moylans Red ale with about 1/2 cup of water and let it cook a good long time. So good!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (3 -4 lb) chicken, whole, cut into serving pieces
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup stout beer, such as Guinness
- 1⁄2 lb fresh button mushroom
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 3 minutes or until tender.
- Remove vegetables with slotted spoon to small bowl.
- Arrange chicken in single layer in skillet. Cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes per side or until lightly browned.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, parsnips, thyme, salt and pepper to skillet.
- Pour stout over chicken and vegetables. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 35 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and peas to skillet.
- Cover; cook 10 minutes.
- Uncover skillet; increase heat to medium. Cook 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly reduced and chicken is no longer pink in center.