Recipe by Fleur Winger
This is a lovely winter warmer which is very easy to prepare. It can be cooked in a crock pot and ready to eat when you get home from work. Don't be restricted by the stout as any dark ale or beer is fine.
- 6-8 cross cut blade steaks
- 6 small yellow onions
- 1000.0 ml beef stock
- 330 ml bottleof irish stout beer or 330 ml bottlemontieths black beer
- 4 sprig fresh thyme
- cracked pepper
- 2 carrots
- 6 small white potatoes
- 2 kumara
- 14.79 ml cornflour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a frying pan brown the steaks and set aside in a large casserol dish and add onions.
- Into the frying pan pour the beef stock and salt and pepper then cook until all the beef residue has lifted.
- Pour over meat and onions and cook for 1 hour.
- Stir into casserol the carrots, potatoes, kumera and thyme sprigs.
- Return to oven and cook another hour.
- With a perforated spoon, lift out vegetables and meat.
- Mix cornflour with a little water to make a paste and stir into stock until thickened.
- Pour over meat and vegetables and serve with seasonal green vegetables.