Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a lovely winter warmer which is very easy to prepare. It can be cooked in a crock pot and ready to eat when you get home from work. Don't be restricted by the stout as any dark ale or beer is fine.
- 6 -8 cross cut blade steaks
- 6 small yellow onions
- 1 liter beef stock
- 1 (330 ml) bottleof irish stout beer or 1 (330 ml) bottlemontieths black beer
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- cracked pepper
- 2 carrots
- 6 small white potatoes
- 2 kumara
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- In a frying pan brown the steaks and set aside in a large casserol dish and add onions.
- Into the frying pan pour the beef stock and salt and pepper then cook until all the beef residue has lifted.
- Pour over meat and onions and cook for 1 hour.
- Stir into casserol the carrots, potatoes, kumera and thyme sprigs.
- Return to oven and cook another hour.
- With a perforated spoon, lift out vegetables and meat.
- Mix cornflour with a little water to make a paste and stir into stock until thickened.
- Pour over meat and vegetables and serve with seasonal green vegetables.
Realing nice Irish Stew for St Paddy's Day. The only thing you need to add is some Irish Soda Bread.
Delicious! The recipe didn't list when to add the stout so I just added it with the stock and that was fine. I also made this in the slow cooker and cut the amount of stock by approx half. Steak was lovely and tender and the stout gave the dish a fabulous rich taste.