Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Great hearty stew recipe. This is one of the family favorites.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups beef stock
- 12 ounces guinness beer
- 1 cup cabernet sauvignon wine
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, 1/2 in cubed
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- salt & pepper
- Heat olive oil in large heavy pot over med-high heat. Dredge beef through flour and drop into hot oil. Sauté until brown (about 5 minutes) add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add beef stock, Guinness, wine, tomato paste, sugar, thyme, basil, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to med-low, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- While meat and stock is simmering melt butter into another pot over med heat. Add potatoes, onions carrots and celery. Sauté about 20 minutes.
- Add veggies to stock and simmer uncovered for about 40 minutes or until meat and veggies are tender. Discard bay leaves. Salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe can be prepared up to two days early. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold then cover. Bring to a simmer before serving.