Recipe by jenny butt
The big debate....should carrots be added to Irish stew ??........well, carrots or not, this is a very easy dish, anda very tasty....best slow cooked........this recipe from Dorinda Hafners Tastes of Britain
- 900 g lamb chops
- 3 -4 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 900 g potatoes, cut into 1-inch rounds
- 4 carrots (optional)
- salt & pepper
- chopped fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 600 ml lamb stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim meat of excess fat , cut chops in 1/2.
- Pre heat oven to 190oC.
- Put a layer of lamb in the base of a large casserole dish.
- Cover with a layer of potatoe, onion, carrot.
- Season generously with salt & pepper, and sprinkle with some chopped parsly.
- Continue to build up layers until all ingrediens used.
- Pour in enough stock to just about the top of the stew.
- Push in sprig of thyme.
- Put asserole onto a moderate flame and gently bring to boil.
- Cover pan with a tight fitting lid, and transfere to oven to simmer gently for about 2 hours.
- Alternately stew can be simmered on hob
- when cooked, ladle into bowls.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley & serve.