Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is not a tomato based stew. It has a bottle of beer in it! It's good. I got this from a low sodium e-mail, Low Sodium Cooking. I adjusted it just a bit.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, Fresh Ground
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 cups carrots, Sliced
- 4 potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 turnips, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the beef stew cubes and brown on all sides.
- Add the flour to the beef stew cubes and mix thoroughly.
- Add the meat to the crockpot along with all the other ingredients, EXCEPT the cornstarch and water.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Finally, combine the cornstarch and water.
- in a bowl and stir into the stew. Turn to high, cover the slow cooker and allow the stew to cook an additional 30 minutes, until thickened slightly.
I made this for MIH Tag game. I used an extra lean cut of meat and cubed it myself. I browned the meat in a very hot skillet sprayed lightly with oil (maybe about 1/2 t oil) otherwise I fixed as suggested. I will next time wait until about half done before adding the potatoes. The potatoes were a bit mushy.
Great Irish stew! I don't prefer stouts, so I made this a Belgian-style ale. Delicious - great soul-warming comfort food for the winter months. Thanks for posting!