Prep 2 mins
Cook 35 mins
Now here's a breakfast that's healthy, low fat and sodium and cholestrol free. It's also a great source of fibre which does a body GOOD or should I say GREAT! Good Health to you ALL!
- 4 cups of briskly boiling water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- milk (optional)
- honey or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon nuts
- 1⁄2 banana, sliced
- Pour the cinnamon and oats into boiling water until and stir until it begins to thicken.
- Lower the heat until it begins to simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- It's important not to overcook the oats so that you get a nice nutty flavour.
- Add the remaining ingredients and enjoy!
To make it faster in the morning, start it the night before. Combine the boiling water and oats (and cinnamon, if desired) then cover and take off the heat and let them sit overnight. In the morning, you reheat and cook for more like 10 minutes (or until tender) before adding everything else.
We love the steel-cut oats too. I go one step further and toat the grain in a heavy skillet with 1 tbsp. butter for about 2 minutes until the oats smell like butterscotch,then add them to your boiling water. Try it, you'll love it.
This is so good! I will never buy another package of pre-made oatmeal again. The texture of the steel cut oats is amazing. I made this with our Sunday morning breakfast. My fiancee mixed in cinnamon and brown sugar, and I stirred raisins, chopped dates and walnuts into mine. Delicious and so filling! Next time I will try mixing bananas in, but I loved my own variation :-) I will make this all the time!