1/2 Photos of Irish Sour Cream Bread
1 hr 10 mins
Maureen in MA's Note:
This is a delicious twist on the traditional Irish Soda Bread, that omits the "soda" entirely and substitutes sour cream for the traditional buttermilk. I think it makes the loaf more moist, sweet and delicious. It has become my favorite version. My husband got it from a colleague, whose great-grandmother (Mary Moriarty, born in Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland in 1902) handed it down to her. Bravo Mary Moriarty!
My Private Note
large l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift first 3 ingredients together in Large bowl (#1).
- 2Mix next 5 ingredients in Smaller bowl (#2).
- 3Slowly mix Bowl #2 ingredients into Bowl #1 until well blended.
- 4Mix in 2 cups of Raisins (and 1 tablespoons Caraway Seeds, if desired).
- 5Pour into 9" greased and floured round cake pan and shape into round loaf. (Note: Batter will be sticky.).
- 6Sprinkle the top with Cinnamon and/or Sugar, if desired.
- 7With a sharp knife, make an "X" in the top of loaf.
- 8Bake for 50-55 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 9When toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Sour Cream Bread
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.4
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 96.0 mg
- Sodium 374.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 7.4 g