Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 lb plain white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 ounces sultana raisins
- 1 cup buttermilk (or fresh milk soured with 1 tblsp of yoghurt)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sift flour, salt, soda and cream of tartar into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in sugar and sultanas.
- Add milk, mixing to form a firm, but not too stiff, dough.
- Knead lightly on a floured surface and form into a slightly flattened round.
- Cut a deep cross on the top of the round with a sharp knife and brush top of round with milk.
- Place on a greased and lightly floured baking sheet and bake in center of oven for 25 minutes.
- Turn the loaf upside-down on the baking sheet and return to oven for another 5 minutes.
- The loaf is done when it sounds hollow when tapped on the base.
- Wrap in a damp cloth and place on its side to cool.