- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter, chilled, cut into cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Spray 8-inch-diameter cake pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in large bowl to blend.
- Add butter.
- Using fingertips, rub in until coarse meal forms.
- Make well in center of flour mixture.
- Add buttermilk.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into milk to blend.
- Mix in raisins.
- Using floured hands, shape dough into ball.
- Transfer to prepared pan and flatten slightly (dough will not come to edges of pan).
- Sprinkle dough with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake bread until brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool bread in pan 10 minutes.
- Transfer to rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.