1 hr 15 mins
A clasic Irish soda bread. I found it in the "Irish Heritage Cookbook", but have modified it slightly. Also can have herbs added.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Lightly grease a 9-inch cake pan or 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- 3Sift the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and a pinch of salt together in a large bowl.
- 4Stir in the sugar.
- 5Make a well in the center, add the buttermilk, and work the milk into the flour until a soft dough is formed.
- 6It should be slightly elastic and not too sticky.
- 7If it appears too sticky, add flour a little at a time until you have a good dough.
- 8Turn the dough into the prepared pan and cut either a slit or a cross into the top.
- 9Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 400 degrees and bake until bread is golden brown and firm to the touch.
- 10(About 45 minutes.) Let cool slightly before slicing.
- 11Best if served warm with fresh butter, but also good fully cooled.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Soda Bread (White)
Serving Size: 1 (1048 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2217.2
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 19.6 mg
- Sodium 1939.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 456.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.5 g
- Sugars 74.7 g
- Protein 67.8 g