1/1 Photo of Irish Soda Bread in a Cast Iron Skillet
Best fresh out of the oven with butter and jam! I don't know where I found this recipe. If you prefer your Irish soda bread sweeter, feel free to add a little bit more sugar. Also, I don't get entangled in the debate over the authenticity of Irish soda bread; however, if it tastes delicious, that's good enough for me! Try this bread with stew or soup! Note that this is a high rising bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed, slightly crushed
- 1/4 cup currants (raisins or golden raisins can be substituted)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (plus an additional 2 tablespoons buttermilk)
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place a 10" UNGREASED cast iron skillet in oven to heat.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter or margarine with a pastry blender.
- 3Stir in the caraway seeds and currants.
- 4Stir in just until combined 1/2 cup buttermilk and the egg.
- 5Turn dough out on a floured cutting board. The dough will be sticky. With floured hands knead the dough a few times until able to form into a disc shape.
- 6Carefully remove the hot cast iron skillet from oven and lightly grease with butter. Place the round ball of dough into the skillet.
- 7In desired, cut an "X" into the top of the loaf using a toothpick. Brush the top of loaf with the remaining buttermilk. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and hollow when tapped.
- 8Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Soda Bread in a Cast Iron Skillet
Serving Size: 1 (578 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1745.2
- Calories from Fat 494
- Total Fat 54.9 g
- Saturated Fat 31.7 g
- Cholesterol 338.4 mg
- Sodium 2289.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 276.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 81.1 g
- Protein 38.5 g