1/2 Photos of Irish Soda Bread (Co.Cavan)
Carb Lover's Note:
This recipe was passed down to me by my Dad's Aunt. I have added a tweak that does not effect the original recipe at all. I find that it's not to dry as some soda breads can be. Has a nice slightly sweet flavor to it, but not too much that it tastes like a cake, it's a bread. I love this recipe and I admit I don't make it nearly enough. Enjoy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar (plus what falls into bowl LOL)
- 1/4 cup butter, I use butter flavor crisco
- 3/4-1 cup raisins (soaked in warm water until plumped. My tweak is to use Jameson's, just a little bit more than to cov)
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- 2Cut the butter or Crisco into chunks and mix into the dry with a pastry cutter until well mixed.
- 3Then add the raisins and caraway seeds.
- 4In a smaller bowl mix the egg with the buttermilk until blended.
- 5Pour the wet into the dry and mix together when it starts to form a ball then go in to the bowl with your hands and mix the rest together until all mixed (dough is sticky) then form a bla and place it on a greased cookie sheet. Let sit for 10 minutes (it rises) then cut an X across the top and brush with milk. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown. I find the more loaves I bake you need to lessen the bake time , my first 2 took the 35 minutes the last 2 only 25
- 6I recommend letting it cool slightly, then while still warm enjoy a slice with a lot of butter and huge cup of tea. Some clotted cream and jam would be nice too.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Soda Bread (Co.Cavan)
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.0
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 39.3 mg
- Sodium 364.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 5.6 g