Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Just found this in the paper and will be making it this St. Patrick's Day.. I love Irish Soda Bread and this recipe looks easy and too good not to try!
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- Mix first 4 ingredients in a big bowl with a fork.
- Pour in buttermilk and raisins.
- Stir really fast until everything comes together like a ball of clay.
- Knead on a floured board for a few seconds.
- Place on lightly floured baking sheet.
- Cut a deep cross on top, all the way down the sides.
- Bake at 425 about 45 mins, until nicely browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Place on rack to cool, or better yet, eat right out of the oven!
Amazing Soda Bread. Simple easy delicious. Light moist and crumbly. I divided the recipe into four loaves (1/2 lb ea) and left one plain, added raisins to two (love those raisins) and raisins and caraway seeds to the last. four round loaves that I baked like a four leaf clover. Cross hatched the tops and each quarter section was just the right serving size--but who could eat just one!! The were all amazing Thaielephant