Recipe by ellie_
This recipe has been adjusted for high altitude -- if cooking at sea level the baking soda needs to be increased to at least 2 teaspoons and the oven temp lowered to 350. I think this bread is a bit healthier than most soda breads and is great for St. Patrick's Day with Corned Beef and Cabbage. Recipe Source: newspaper clipping.
Top Review by Debbwl
Appreciate the use of whole wheat in this recipe and the fact that it had just a hint of sweetness. This recipe can be cut in half quite nicely, did make as written and did need to add a little extra milk to get a nice constancy to my dough. Thanks for the post.
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, chilled
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray or grease well.
- Combine first 5 ingredients (flours-salt) in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter with two knifes until butter is pea-sized.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Stir in raisins.
- Turn dough out onto floured bread board.
- Knead for one minute and shape into a large round disk.
- Cut and"X" in th top and place on prepared pan.
- Bake 45- 55 minutes or until done.