This recipe has been adjusted for high altitude -- if cooking at sea level the baking soda needs to be increased to at least 2 teaspoons and the oven temp lowered to 350. I think this bread is a bit healthier than most soda breads and is great for St. Patrick's Day with Corned Beef and Cabbage. Recipe Source: newspaper clipping.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray or grease well.
- Combine first 5 ingredients (flours-salt) in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter with two knifes until butter is pea-sized.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Stir in raisins.
- Turn dough out onto floured bread board.
- Knead for one minute and shape into a large round disk.
- Cut and"X" in th top and place on prepared pan.
- Bake 45- 55 minutes or until done.