Recipe by Barb G.
A hearty bread to complement any table. This Soda Bread uses lowfat Yogurt. This is also good adding 2 teaspoons caraway seeds. The recipe comes from Stoneyfeild Farm.
Top Review by KWB
Lovely. Really "Irish" soda bread is just a scone, isn't it? I added caraway seeds. So tender and luscious. Perfect with corned beef, scalloped cabbage and white beans with paprika. MMmmmmmm!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar or 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dried currant
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter until clumps are pea-sized.Stir in currants and yogurt.
- Turn the dough onto a floured cutting board, knead 1 minute, and shape into a round loaf;
- Slice an x in the top of a loaf and bake on a greased baking sheet for 45-50 minutes,yields one 8-inch loaf.