Recipe by shellbee
a quick bread with no yeast or abm. from jean pare.
Top Review by Marsha D.
This was my first time making a Irish Soda Bread and what a FABULOUS recipe! We really enjoyed it :) I formed this into a round loaf and placed on a lightly greased baking sheet and baked at 350' for 35 minutes than lowered the temp to 300' for 25 minutes. I had to keep a watch to make sure it didn't over brown on the bottom of my pan. It was perfect when I took out of the oven. This is a recipe I will be keeping for future making. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!!
- 946.36 ml all-purpose flour
- 29.58 ml white sugar
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 88.74 ml cold butter or 88.74 ml margarine
- 473.18 ml buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- in mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.
- stir thoroughly.
- cut in butter till crumbly,.
- add buttermilk.
- stir just enough to moisten.
- turn on lightly floured surface.
- knead 8 to 10 times.
- put in greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- bake at 350 for 1 hour or until browned and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- this may also be baked in a casserole or on a baking sheet.
- VARIATION;add one cup raisins or currants.