Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
a quick bread with no yeast or abm. from jean pare.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups buttermilk
- in mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.
- stir thoroughly.
- cut in butter till crumbly,.
- add buttermilk.
- stir just enough to moisten.
- turn on lightly floured surface.
- knead 8 to 10 times.
- put in greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- bake at 350 for 1 hour or until browned and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- this may also be baked in a casserole or on a baking sheet.
- VARIATION;add one cup raisins or currants.
This was my first time making a Irish Soda Bread and what a FABULOUS recipe! We really enjoyed it :) I formed this into a round loaf and placed on a lightly greased baking sheet and baked at 350' for 35 minutes than lowered the temp to 300' for 25 minutes. I had to keep a watch to make sure it didn't over brown on the bottom of my pan. It was perfect when I took out of the oven. This is a recipe I will be keeping for future making. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!!
This was excellent Irish Soda Bread! Tasted just like i remembered when i was visiting Ireland! I also did what marsha D suggested on the oven temp and time. I did like the addition of the sugar, i know some soda bread recipes do not call for it because then they say it is not authentic....however, this tasted wonderful and it was not "sweet" at all! will definitely be makeing this one again! It was super easy too!