Recipe by Kerry_Eire
This is a favorite recipe in our house, my mother got it from the lady who taught her lamaze, Kathy Kelly. I have made this with Splenda replacing the sugar in the past and no one could tell the difference in taste. I recommend placing a cookie sheet or something similar underneath in case the loaf pan overflows.
- 3 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark raisins
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons shortening, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Stir in raisins or currants.
- Combine eggs, buttermilk and melted shortening.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients and mix just until flour is moistened.
- Turn batter into greased and floured 5 1/4x9 1/2 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.