Recipe by Gardening Girl
Being of Irish heritage how could I not have a soda bread recipe in my collection!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sweet butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups currants
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, well beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a loaf tin with 2 tbsp of butter.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a small saucepan and set aside.
- Sift the dry ingredients together, add the currents and toss well to coat.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Spoon batter into the loaf pan and dot with remaining butter.
- Bake at 350°F for 60 minutes. Cool slightly remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack, or serve warm.