Recipe by dicentra
This comes from 1000 Great Recipes. Posting for ZWT3. They say to serve this with soup, cheese and traditional rustic-style dishes.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon flour, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400*. Grease a baking sheet.
- Sift together the flours, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center and add the butter and buttermilk.
- Working from the center, stir to combine the ingredients until a soft dough is formed.
- Place on the baking sheet. Cut a cross on the top with a sharp knife and dust with flour.
- Bake until brown, about 40-50 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.