Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A hearty chowder, good served with hot soda bread. Be careful not to overcook the scallops, as they can turn rubbery. Sea scallops are large. If all you can find is the smaller bay scallops, do not quarter them, but leave whole. For the mixed seafood, use shrimp, mussels, calamari rings, etc.
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 9 ounces sea scallops, quartered
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced (or use Yukon Gold)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups whole milk, scalded
- 9 ounces seafood, cooked (see recipe description)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add scallops and cook, in batches, for 5 minutes, until just opaque. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the bacon to the pan and cook 3-4 minutes, until it starts to brown.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to soften.
- Add thyme and 2 tablespoons of the parsley to the vegetables. Pour in broth and cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove thyme sprigs; discard. Lightly crush some of the vegetables with the back of a wooden spoon. This will help thicken the liquid. Pour in the scalded milk.
- Add the scallops and mixed cooked seafood to the pan. Cook until heated through but do not let mixture boil.
- Check seasonings, and add lemon juice.
- Ladle into warm bowls and sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Really marvelous. I made it with the scallops. of course, and then used a frozen seafood stuffed calamari that I cut into rings. The stuffing included shrimp, crab, etc. The chowder came out a treat and under 300 calories. Really now, whats not to love here? This will be made again without a doubt. This is good enough for company that you want to impress or a special holiday dinner.
We enjoyed this very much and I will definitely make it again. The basic flavor is so delicious. I will try it with various types of shellfish, since it will be good with whatever I have on hand. Thanks for sharing a great recipe.