1/4 Photos of Irish Rutabagas(Swedes or Yellow Turnips) With Caramelized Onion
Turnips became popular in Ireland as human food during the great famine and have remained popular. I especially like this combination of turnip and onion. Easy and economical to serve. For my way of cooking this recipe has far too much butter & oil. I would use a "No OIl" spray for the onions and perhaps 1 tbsp of butter. _ I love butter and I love the flavor it gives but------------------
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs rutabagas, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 -8 tablespoons butter
- finely chopped parsley
- 1Heat Olive oil in a heavy skillet add the onions, cook over low heat for approximately 45 minutes or until they are golden and caramelized.
- 2Meanwhile boil the rutabagas in salted water, cook until soft, drain and mash well then beat in the butter.
- 3Stir in the caramelized onions, taste and adjust seasoning.
- 4Serve piping hot (reheat in the oven if necessary).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Rutabagas(Swedes or Yellow Turnips) With Caramelized Onion
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.3
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 100.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 2.7 g