For this recipe I use Colman's Irish mustard. makes all the difference
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 small bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 1/2 cup lower-salt chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1Trim the excess fat from chicken.
- 2Position a rack in the lower third of the oven, set a large rimmed baking sheet on the rack, and heat the oven to 475°F Season the chicken thighs all over with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat the oil in a heavy-duty ovenproof 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Swirl to coat the pan bottom. Arrange the chicken in the pan skin side down in a single layer (it will likely be a snug fit), cover with an ovenproof splatter screen (if you have one) and cook until the skin is deep golden-brown, about 7 minutes. Turn the thighs and transfer the skillet and splatter screen, if using, to the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh registers 170°F, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- 4Pour off all but 1 Tbs. fat from the skillet. Add the shallots and sauté over medium heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the flour until combined. Stir in the beer, chicken broth, maple syrup, and thyme. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the skillet with a wooden spoon. Simmer vigorously until reduced to about 1 cup, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the mustard, then the butter. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5To serve, dip each chicken thigh in the sauce and turn to coat. Arrange 2 thighs on each of 4 plates, spoon additional sauce over them, and garnish with the thyme. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Rover Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (960 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 807.8
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 173.1 mg
- Sodium 418.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 36.8 g