Recipe by WI Cheesehead
Saving this to try. From the local paper. This makes 6 dinner sized servings. Cook time includes roasting the potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 leeks, sliced (white part only)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, cut in half and oven-roasted (see note)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and butter in large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add carrots, leeks, garlic and sweet potatoes and sauté until leeks are translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and whipping cream.
- Cover and simmer until carrots and potatoes are very soft, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Puree soup in blender and return to same saucepan.
- Add salt, pepper and sugar and taste and adjust seasonings.
- Stir soup over medium heat until heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and top with whipped cream, if desired.
- Note: Parboil potatoes, then oven-roast by placing potatoes on cookie sheet in 350°F oven for about 30 minutes, or until brown.