Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
This is a recipe from Joanne Fluke's mystery "Sugar Cookie Murder." This pot roast is made with Guinness stout (what else?) and has directions for either making in the slow cooker or in the oven. Something different for St. Paddy's Day and the kids (and grown-ups) will get a kick out of the name. Don't forget to make your favorite "Irish Soda Bread" and serve with mashed potatoes and carrots. Enjoy!!
Top Review by yogiclarebear
This was very nice. I used 2 smaller arm roasts in the crock pot, but would probably use one large roast if I did it again. My beer was Murphy's stout. My husband loved the flavor, and enjoyed the roast with steamed sweet potatoes, a roll, and green salad. I might have liked a thicker gravy.
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Guinness stout
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crumbled dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 -5 lbs boneless chuck roast or 4 -5 lbs rump roast
- 1 (3/4 ounce) packet beef gravy mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray the inside of a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray (or preheat oven to 325 degrees with rack in the middle).
- Mix all the ingredients, except the meat and gravy mix, in a large bowl.
- FOR THE SLOW COOKER: Put half a cup of the sauce mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker. Set the meat in and pour the rest of the sauce over the top.
- Turn the slow cooker to low and cook for 8 to 10 hours (or if you are late putting roast in cooker, cook on high for 6 to 7 hours) When the meat is easily pierced with a fork, remove from the sauce and cut into chunks and put on a platter. Cover platter with foil to keep meat warm.
- Turn the slow cooker to high and sprinkle in the packet of beef gravy mix. Stir until sauce has thickened.
- To serve, drizzle some of the sauce over the meat on the platter. Put the rest of the sauce in a gravy boat or small pitcher for the table.
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE OVEN: Spray the inside of the roasting pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Follow the directions as above and cover the pan tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 5 to 6 hours or until easily pierced with a fork. Take off the foil and let brown in oven for another 45 minutes. Remove meat from sauce and cut into chunks and put on a platter. Cover platter with foil to keep meat warm.
- Pour the sauce into a saucepan and sprinkle with beef gravy mix; thicken over medium heat and serve, as described above.