French Tart's Note:
An easy and very tasty rarebit dish made with Irish cheddar cheese and the ubiquitous Irish ale, Guinness. The Emerald Isle produces some great dairy products and none is better than their butter and Cheddar style cheese. This recipe has Ireland written right the way through it, using soda bread as the base for this cheesy snack, as well as the aforementioned cheese and ale. I have also made these to eat with a bowl of hearty soup or Irish stew, perfect for a cold or damp winter's day. Amazing high tea time food as well; served with salad, chutneys and pickles for a cheap and easy fire-side supper.
My Private Note
Irish R ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup milk or 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup irish stout beer, such as Guinness
- 2 finely chopped spring onions (green onions)
- 1 cup irish cheddar cheese, grated (or similar Cheddar cheese)
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices soda bread
- 1Melt the butter in a heavy pan and stir in flour to make a roux. Cook on a low heat for a further minute without allowing it to brown.
- 2Remove pan from heat and gradually beat the milk or buttermilk into the roux. Return to heat and stir until the mixture thickens. Stir in mustard and honey, spring onions and finally the stout/Guinness. Cook this mixture fairly rapidly for 2-3 minutes then add the grated cheese and stir over very low heat only until all the cheese has melted.
- 3Spread thickly on four slices of soda bread and place under the grill until golden brown and bubbling. Serve hot with soups, stews, salad, chutneys or pickles.
- 4(Serves 2 as a light meal or snack with salad and 4 as an accompaniment to soup or stew.).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Rarebit on Soda Bread With Cheddar Cheese and Ale
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 571.3
- Calories from Fat 308
- Total Fat 34.3 g
- Saturated Fat 20.9 g
- Cholesterol 98.4 mg
- Sodium 836.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 21.4 g