Recipe by Sharon123
For those of you not familiar with this yummy little treat, a pasty is a hand-held pie filled with savory meat or vegetables & spices. The traditional pub version is usually dipped in batter, then deep fried. This version uses ready-made rolled pie crusts which makes them super easy (and a lot less messy!). From Living Well Spending Less.
- 1 onion
- 1⁄3 head cabbage
- 4 small carrots
- 8 small red potatoes
- 4 green onions
- 1 leek
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces shredded parmesan cheese
- 5 refrigerated rolled pie crusts
- 10 ounces veggie crumbles (the freezer ones like Morningstar-optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- If using "beef " crumbles, brown in large frying pan, remove from pan, and set aside. Dice onions, carrots, & potatoes. Chop cabbage into small pieces. Thinly slice leeks and green onions.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of butter in large frying pan over medium heat. Saute onions, green onions, & leeks until tender, approximately 6 minutes. Add cabbage, carrots, & potatoes. Continue cooking over medium heat for 5 more minutes. Reduce heat to low; cover & steam for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Meanwhile, remove pie crusts from refrigerator & preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk 3 eggs, mustard, & spices in large bowl. Remove 1 tablespoon of egg mixture and whisk with 1 tablespoon of water; set aside. Add vegetables, beef crumbles, & cheese to egg mixture and mix well.
- Unroll pie crusts and cut into quarters using pizza cutter.
- To make pasties, place one wedge of crust on parchment-paper covered cookie sheet. Place a scoop of the veggie mixture on center of wedge, then cover with a second wedge. Press edges with a fork to seal, then brush with egg & water mixture. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.