Recipe by Debbwl
Have been making this for years. The bay leaf is what makes this one a little different from a lot of potato soups.
Top Review by musubi mama
I am typically not a big fan of potato soup, but this soup was so delicious!! I used my immersion blender to puree it and added the polish sausage. My soup was a little thin, but I think it's because my potatoes tended to be on the smaller side. The taste was just perfect. This recipe is definitely a keeper - thanks for posting it!
- 4 russet potatoes, medium sized
- 1 quart water
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and slice the potatoes.
- Put potatoes into a soup pot with water, onions, and bay leaf.
- Simmer covered for 45 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches.
- Add half and half, salt, and pepper. Also add smoked sausage if using.
- Cook for 15 minutes on low just until heated thoroughly without scalding the half and half.
- Add butter and serve.